The bedroom can be transformed into a warm refuge that is loaded with the appeal of an English garden. Personalized touches, standard cottage details, and mixes of materials and patterns prompted by a fashionable English garden blend together to make the ideal spot for lovers. The below tips can be applied to help form your bedroom retreat.
Informal and Fresh
Richly textured walls form the perfect background for your cottage garden themed bedroom. Spotted cottage wallpaper, or wallpapers in broad ethereal bands or florals furnish a checked background. Another good thought is to apply beaded board painted in creamy tones of white or standard cottage wainscoting. Run the paper half way up the wall and top it off with a small shelf. The shelf is a clever spot to display garden inspired plates, vases or other collectibles.
Garden Themed Linens and Bedding
The centerpiece or focal point of the room will be the bed, whether it is created of natural wood, wrought iron, or covered with fabric. Top a checked dust ruffle with a double wedding ring or checked quilt. Fabrics like chenille, lace and cotton can be mixed up and superimposed in patterns. Of course you will want to use some floral patterns, but also mix in stripes, tartans and checks. Colors that fall within similar hue saturation will give a pulled together feeling. Light or lightly colored walls will contribute a stand out feel to accents and linen. Gingham checks and solids, striped and plaid patterns as well as floral wall paper that has accent colors of the room is also a great selection. You can even merge various floral patterns if they are associated by color and style.
Experiment with a unique look by angling your bed in the corner of the room. Break out of the box and buffer the lines of the room with a bed, furniture or mirror with fluid curved lines in the headboard, bureau or wall mirror.
Garden Fresh Accents add Romance
* Layer white table dressings for a old-fashioned feel on the vanity. Add a pair of matching silver champagne glasses stuffed with pink wines, a collection of family pictures, silver jewelry box and an exquisite glass base table lamp.
* Make a statement with garden inspired wall decorating ideas, such as a collection of straw garden hats and floral plates. Place a straw hat on a hat stand on a corner table and hang other hats and plates behind it to make a multi-dimensional grouping. Add a tea pot or sugar bowl overflowing with your favorite blooms.
* Details count. Dried lavendar dangling in bunches from a glass knobbed closet or bedroom door is a nice touch. Position a collection of floral and striped hat boxes on top of an armoire. Position topiary on a dressing table. Don’t miss scents to coordinate with your motif; potpourri and candles in floral scents work well.
* Bring in architectural pieces from days gone by for remarkable touches. Suggestions include an old-fashioned wrought iron fence grating makes a unique focal point on a wall or as a headboard; perch old birdhouses atop work posts for a capricious statement in a corner.
* Repurpose garden items for the bedroom. Include a plant stand in a reading corner to hold treasured books as well as a few plants. Convert a large urn or other container with a glass top to repurpose it as a side table or night stand. Transform a finished flower pot into a wall sconce candle holder.
* Outside decor like a bird bath or statue can be brought inside. A tabletop fountain can be positioned in a birdbath to lend the soothing sound of lightly cascading water.